Wet Spring Conditions Pose Threat to Surface Roads
To protect public safety, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) will temporarily close certain state forest seasonal access roads in Chautauqua County.
The road closures are due to wet spring weather conditions. Road traffic in saturated, muddy conditions can degrade forest road surfaces. DEC will reopen roads as soon as weather conditions improve.
The roads being temporarily closed are
• North Harmony State Forest – Snake Forest Road
• Mount Pleasant State Forest – Spruce Forest Road, Beck Forest Road, Brumagin Forest Road
• Stockton State Forest – Blackman Forest Road
• Boutwell Hill State Forest – Arab Hill Forest Road
• Hatch Creek State forest – North Forest Road, South Forest Road, Hodge Forest Road
• Whalen Memorial State Forest – Whalen Forest Road
• Harris Hill State Forest – Sprague Forest Road
• Brokenstraw State Forest – Brokenstraw Forest Road
• Hill Higher State Forest- Hill Higher Forest Road
• Pine Hill State Forest – Hotchkiss Forest Road
For the most current updates regarding state forest road closures, please call DEC’s Forestry office at (716) 363-2052.